Stage 6 Activities
These children use a variety of ways to solve and estimate the answers to addition and subtraction problems. They see numbers as whole units in themselves but are also able to split numbers up and see lots of possibilities for various problems/questions. These children need a lot of reinforcement of their basic facts both in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Make small flash cards out of paper with basic facts on them
- When you go shopping ask your child to add up the items you have brought. Ask your child to total up the items…
$16 + $17+$12+$25=…
- Know combinations to 20 off by heart (7+3, 2+8 etc)
- Ask your child to make 30 sticks into bundles of 10 or 5. Ask them how many are left over and how many bundles are there.
- Continue reading large numbers up to trillions. Write these on a piece of paper and ask your child to read them aloud, then ask what’s 10 more, what’s 100 more, what’s 1000 more etc….
- Card games, dice games, bingo games are all great games to get your child to identify big numbers and practise their adding and subtracting.
- Use the car sales or house sales pages from the newspaper to get your child to cut out and order the numbers smallest to largest. Ask your child which car/house is the cheapest/most expensive?
Continue checking their doubles and basic facts to 20 and ask your child to find more than one way of solving an answer. Examples include…
9+6= 15 9+5+1=15 9+3+3=15